World News

Accused NYC terrorist faces 20 new charges, including murder

Accused NYC terrorist faces 20 new charges, including murder

Saipov is accused of driving a rented Home Depot truck through a bicycle path, killing eight people and injuring roughly a dozen others in lower Manhattan on October 31.

"Sayfullo Saipov murdered eight innocent people and injured many more in a calculated act of terrorism in the heart of one of our great cities", Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Tuesday.

He could face the death penalty for nine of these counts.

Sayfullo Saipov, the man accused of killing eight last month in a truck attack in New York City, has been indicted by a federal grand jury.

Saipov is charged with murder in the aid of racketeering, attempted murder in aid of racketeering, providing and attempting to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization and violence and destruction of motor vehicles.

Assistant U.S. Attorneys Andrew Beaty, Amanda Houle and Matthew Laroche are prosecuting the case.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the truck attack, which was the deadliest assault on New York City since September 11, 2001.

More news: Danny Rose in contention to start in Champions League against Borussia Dortmund

William F. Sweeney Jr., head of New York's Federal Bureau of Investigation office, said the indictment should signal "that the rule of law will always prevail".

Saipov, an Uzbek immigrant, was hospitalized after he was shot by a police officer and arrested.

Saipov also asked during his interview with authorities if he could display the ISIS flag in his hospital room after the attack. His injury was minor enough that he was transferred to a prison facility in Manhattan two days later. He first lived in OH, where he was a commercial truck driver, then in Florida.

According to John Miller, NYPD deputy commissioner for counterterrrorism, Saipov left several pages of handwritten notes just outside the rental truck he used to ram into civilians, one of which said ISIS would "endure forever".

Authorities said in court papers that Saipov told investigators he was inspired to carry out the attack after watching a video of Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi questioning "what Muslims in the United States and elsewhere were doing to respond to the killing of Muslims in Iraq".

Prosecutors said they found two cellphones at the scene, with one of the phones containing 90 videos and thousands of images associated with ISIS.