World News

At Least 9 People Hurt By Carbon Monoxide In Yonkers

At Least 9 People Hurt By Carbon Monoxide In Yonkers

The incident has led to the death of a 13-year-old girl.

At least nine people have been injured after carbon monoxide filled a home in Yonkers. "We proceeded to evacuate the entire building which required them to kick in several doors, there's 12 apartments in the building", said Chief Roman McKeon, Perth Amboy Police.

"I heard the doorbell ring and it was the police and they just went quickly upstairs", Joshua Coria, a resident, told WABC.

'When it's cold, temperatures like this people will use space heaters and alternative methods to stay warm if they're heating systems aren't working, ' Perth Amboy Fire Chief Edward Mullen told CBS.

Officials say that they have not yet found the source of the carbon monoxide leak. Their current conditions are unknown.

Among the 41 people treated for poisoning at the 12-unit apartment building were 27 police officers which amounts to 20 per cent of the force
Among the 41 people treated for poisoning at the 12-unit apartment building were 27 police officers which amounts to 20 per cent of the force

A criminal investigation will take place, according to the police.

Authorities said they are looking to see if carbon monoxide detectors in the building worked, and every appliance will be checked for safety.

Carbon monoxide can be deadly, in December a 90-year-old Harrison man died at home after police said he accidentally left his auto running in his garage.

The city is offering shelter to the people displaced by the carbon monoxide.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include nausea, shortness of breath and other flu-like traits.

More news: Burnout Paradise HD Remaster release date spotted