Culture&Arts

Casey Affleck withdraws from the Oscars

Casey Affleck withdraws from the Oscars

His withdrawal has been confirmed by Oscar organisers the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The Oscar victor, 42, has told the Academy that he will not be appearing at the awards ceremony, PEOPLE magazine has confirmed.

Last year, Affleck won the best actor award his performance Manchester by the Sea, which traditionally meant he would have been in line to present the best actress award. Affleck was not immediately available for comment, according to Variety. At Variety's Inclusion Summit on November 1, the magazine's co-editor-in-chief, Claudia Eller, point-blank asked Academy CEO Dawn Hudson if the organisation was "giving any thought" to whether it'd allow Affleck to do so in light of his alleged past and the current conversation about sexual harassment and assault in the industry. Oscars tradition is that that the Best Actor victor from the previous year presents the Best Actress award, while the Best Actress victor presents Best Actor. Affleck denied the allegations, and the lawsuits were eventually settled out of court.

More news: FY2017 EPS Estimates for Bristol-Myers Squibb Co (BMY) Increased by Analyst

CNN asked the Academy about the circumstances surrounding the announcement that Affleck would not be presenting. "Other than live my life the way I know I live it and to speak to what my own values are and how I try to live by them all the time".

Affleck's decision not to appear during the ceremony comes following a wave of allegations of varying levels of sexual misconduct among a number of key figures in Hollywood in the second half of 2017. While the audience gave him a standing ovation, Larson, a vocal advocate for sexual-assault survivors, took a step back and refrained from clapping. She told Vanity Fair that what she did on stage "spoke for itself". "I've said all that I need to say about that topic".