JK Police received no information from Delhi on Kawa's arrest

JK Police received no information from Delhi on Kawa's arrest

The relatives and family members questioned the arrest of a Kashmiri businessman Bilal Ahmed Kawa of Alikadal Srinagar in 17 year-old Red Fort attack case, terming the detention unwarranted and uncalled for.

Three people, including two Army jawans, were killed in the December 22, 2000 Red Fort attack. "Niyaz is living in Delhi for the last 20 years at the same place and they have never faced any query from the police", added Fatima.

The family members staged a protest here in Press Enclave Srinagar describing the arrest of Bilal Ahmed Kawa in New Delhi as a move to "subdue and torment people of Kashmir".

At the nearby police station Maharaj Gunj-Zainkadal, officials said they have no FIR against Bilal Ahmad Kawa, adding that they have not received any notification that declares him as proclaimed offender. "The claims of police that my son was planning an attack on January 26 are all fake and fabricated".

Kawa, who was suspected to be linked to Lashkar-e-Taiba, was arrested in the evening from the T3 terminal of the airport and his questioning is underway, said the police.

More news: Sleet and snow set to return on bitterly cold winds

As per his family, Kawa was visiting Delhi for a heart check-up on the advice of his doctor. "If he was a terrorist, as they are saying, why would he travel with his Aadhaar card and book air tickets in his own name", said his mother, Fatima, who's inconsolable since she heard the news of her son's arrest at the Delhi airport.

Protesting Kawa's arrest, the family and their neighbours demanded that he be released immediately. He lambasted Delhi Police for arresting an innocent whose name figure nowhere in Jammu Kashmir police record. I am unable to understand to how could he have carried any attack with eatables? "He used to visit Delhi every year for the past 18 years". "However, he was arrested at Delhi airport on false charges".

We are a business family. "Besides, he was also going to meet his brother, who is settled and working there". They appealed State Police to help in the release of Kawa. The family members and their relatives demonstrated in the city's Press Colony on Friday.

She said that only Kashmir bread and vegetables were recovered from his luggage.

"We want him to be released and brought back home soon..."