Culture&Arts

Search Continues for Missing After Mudslides in California

Search Continues for Missing After Mudslides in California

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown on Thursday expanded what was known as the public safety exclusion zone to incorporate most of the town.

The disaster struck on Tuesday after heavy rains soaked the area near Montecito, where vegetation had been denuded by the largest wildfire in California's history.

Crews are using backhoes, jackhammers and shovels to look for victims and clear roads.

"The missing persons were reported by family and friends, and resided in areas that were heavily damaged during the storm and subsequent mudslides", the sheriff's office said.

NeoTract, a maker of devices used in the medical field of urology, has launched a fundraising page asking for financial support for the family of Kim Cantin.

Montecito residents begin to decide whether to evacuate or stay in place with possibility of losing all power, water and gas.

"I thought I was dead for a minute there", the dazed girl could be heard saying on video posted by KNBC-TV before she was taken away on a stretcher.

"The house in the back is gone", she says, gesturing around her.

The rainy season in Southern California resulted in the deaths of 17 individuals from mudslides, and this figure may increase.

More news: Chevy Silverado drops 450 pounds for its debut in Detroit

Rebecca Riskin, the 61-year-old founder of a real estate firm, was also killed in Montecito, according to the company and local news media.

"I really can't believe it", she captioned the picture.

The statement says Riskin was an "exceptional woman" who had exuded strength, grace and elegance. Numerous 43 people unaccounted for have since been determined to be safe. You see these devastating pictures but. people are confirmed dead, a lot of people are missing. On Thursday they believed dozens were unaccounted for, but the number was revised down.

The death toll from mudslides in California has increased to 17 with another 8 people still missing. Those killed ranged in age from 3 to 89, and all lived in Montecito in Santa Barbara County, northwest of Los Angeles, authorities said.

My attractive home town, just after getting through weeks of wild fire, has been hit by a major storm.

"There have been many miraculous stories of people lasting many days (following similar disasters) and certainly we are searching for a miracle right now", Sheriff Brown said. Only an estimated 10 to 15 percent of residents fled their homes when ordered, and much of the damage occurred where evacuation orders were voluntary.

Numerous young women are most likely from Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and environs.

They slogged through ooze and poked long holes into the mud on Wednesday as they searched for victims a day after the massive debris flow passed through.

Forecasters issued flash flood warnings and predicted the cold front with powerful winds could bring several inches of rain.