World News

Canada Updates Security Alert for Mexico after Playa del Carmen Incidents

Canada Updates Security Alert for Mexico after Playa del Carmen Incidents

"According to the Canadian government, on March 7 the United States embassy in Mexico City issued a security alert advising American citizens that "‎the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City received information about a security threat in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

Both the closure of the consular agency and the restrictions on personnel travel are in place "until further notice", according to Nauert.

The embassy said late on Wednesday that, as a result of a "security threat", US government employees are prohibited from traveling to Playa del Carmen and the USA consular office in the city has been closed until further notice.

The State Department provided few details on what the threat was - saying only that one was received by the embassy in Mexico City on Wednesday.

Still, Mexican officials on Thursday said that Playa del Carmen was safe despite the US security warning.

More news: Focus on Unusual Volume Activity Stock - Sony Corporation (SNE)

Conversely, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauret said in a statement that all travelers should check the U.S. Bureau of Consulate Affairs website before embarking on an global trip. The uptick has been attributed to the fight over the lucrative drug markets of Cancun and Playa de Carmen by Cartel Jalisco Nueva Generacion, Los Zetas, the Gulf Cartel, and independent groups loyal to the Sinaloa Cartel. The Canadian alert was issued just as many Canadians and Americans head to Mexico for spring break.

Be aware of your surroundings and exercise caution.

According to the Canadian government, on February 21, an explosive device detonated on a popular tourist ferry in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo.

The embassy announced a similar advisory that restricted government employees from using ferry service between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel Island after officials discovered another explosive device on a different ferry on March 1. The incidents are still under investigation. The embassy also said it's closing its local consulate until further notice.