World News

Reported overnight missile strikes on Syrian airbases a false alarm

Reported overnight missile strikes on Syrian airbases a false alarm

Syrian state media on Tuesday retracted reports of an overnight missile attack on the central province of Homs, saying a "false alarm" had activated its air defences.

Citing a military source, the state TV said a false alarm after midnight Tuesday triggered off the response by Syrian air defenses to the alleged attack, but later it turned out that there was no foreign attack on Syria.

The reports claimed that 6 missiles targeted the Shayrat airbase in the central province of Homs, but a lot of them were intercepted by Syrian air defenses.

A commander of a military alliance that supports Syrian President Bashar al-Assad told Reuters earlier that the malfunction was caused by "a joint electronic attack" by Israel and the U.S. that targeted the Syrian radar system.

The issue had been dealt with by Russian experts, said the commander, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity.

More news: LG G7 ThinQ Render Leaked Ahead Of May 2nd Launch

"State television showed pictures of a missile but did not report on three missiles that were fired at Dumair military airport, northeast of Damascus", the message said.

It is unclear who was behind the attack, but the U.S. said its military was not involved.

"To accomplish US military objectives, partner force generation in Syria will be comprised of local forces that are demographically representative, appropriately vetted, trained, and equipped to ensure a safe and secure environment and capable of countering ISIS [Daesh]", it said in the budget proposal.

Surface-to-air missiles were seen in the sky over Syria's capital Damascus on April 14, 2018, as the Syrian air defenses were responding to the US -led missile attack on Syria.

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.