World News

UN Yemen Envoy: Missiles Launched at Saudi Arabia Hinder Peace

UN Yemen Envoy: Missiles Launched at Saudi Arabia Hinder Peace

Martin Griffiths told the UN Security Council on Tuesday that he would develop a new framework to re-launch negotiations between a Saudi-led coalition and Houthi rebels, but warned that fighting on the ground was still fierce.

Recent deployments of drones and ballistic missiles by the Houthi movement in Yemen in strikes against a Saudi tanker, both inside global waters and Saudi territory itself, reveal an enduring ability on the part of the Houthis to strike far beyond the limits of their own territory.

In an update on Monday, the Saudi coalition said 119 rockets and 6,6259 projectiles had been fired across the border into the kingdom as of April 16.

He revealed that he will present a new peace plan within two months.

Saudi air defence forces have intercepted the latest in a series of missiles fired at the kingdom's cities by Houthi militias in Yemen.

More news: Gorsuch Rejects Deportation Mandate for Legal Immigrant Convict

Griffiths cited the firing of ballistic missiles against Saudi Arabia, intensified military operations in northwestern Saada governorate, ongoing air raids and movements of forces in the Hudaida region as worrisome developments.

The United Nations' new envoy for Yemen has said he plans to unveil a new plan to end the conflict in the Arab world's poorest country within two months.

US Ambassador Nikki Haley thanked Griffiths, a British national, for taking on the Yemen mission, but stressed the new peace effort must address Iran's military support to the Houthis.

Russian Federation in February vetoed a British-drafted resolution strongly supported by the United States that would have put pressure on Iran over its failure to block supplies of missiles to the Houthi militias.

Tehran has repeatedly denied arming the rebels, which would violate a United Nations weapons embargo slapped on Yemen in 2015.