Culture&Arts

12 boys rescued from Thai cave unable to attend World Cup final

12 boys rescued from Thai cave unable to attend World Cup final

A source said the 10th came out shortly, followed by the 11th and 12th at 6.25pm. The team's 25-year-old coach and four boys are still deep inside the flooded and sprawling cave.

The four boys rescued first are "well, they're up and about", Sky News' southeast Asia correspondent, Siobhan Robbins, said.

The official added that the boys met with Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha on Monday night. "Who the hell would give that to a kid?"

Two more boys were rescued from a flooded Thai cave on Tuesday, officials said, as elite divers raced to extract the remaining members of a young football team who became trapped 18 days ago.

Chiang Rai Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn says the rescue mission began at 10.08am and involves 19 divers.

But a person with knowledge of the rescue said just before the twelfth person was spotted, that in all, 11 of the 13 had been brought out. Each operation has taken at least nine hours.

Officials revealed on Tuesday that the first eight boys rescued from the cavern were in good health overall and some requested bread slathered with chocolate for breakfast.

The boys and their coach are expected to spend at least one week at Chiang Rai hospital for observation and protection against possible infections.

More news: Australian dollar smacked as Trump readies $200bn tariffs for China

The youngsters and their coach had been stuck in the cave since 23 June, after rising water levels trapped within the Tham Luang Nang Non cave complex in Chiang Rai.

Four more of the boys were carried on stretchers out of the labyrinthine Tham Luang cave on the Myanmar border at dusk on Monday, bringing to eight the number brought out after two rescue pushes on successive days.

They are all likely to stay in hospital for seven days due to their weakened immune systems. "But we will have a psychiatrist to evaluate them", he said, while stressing that the boys are "happy and smiling". Four boys and the coach are still deep inside, and authorities have indicated they're continuing with their so-far successful effort to bring the boys out guided by experienced divers.

Authorities said earlier divers had to hold the boys close to bring them as they made their way out along a guide rope, and each boy had to wear an oxygen mask to enable normal breathing.

Dr Jesada said the first group taken out, on Sunday, were aged 14 to 16 and the second group, taken out on Monday, were aged 12 to 14.

A few hours later, three ambulances, lights flashing, were also seen leaving the site.

Heavy rains in the morning cleared during the day, a reassuring sign for rescuers who feared monsoon rains could imperil the rescue.