World News

Hundreds of former Pakistan ruling party members detained, they say

Hundreds of former Pakistan ruling party members detained, they say

In separate statements, Nawaz's children Maryam and Hussain said that their mother had opened her eyes for a few seconds exactly one month after losing consciousness and being placed on a ventilator.

Sharif's dramatic return before a 25 July election follows a two-year corruption scandal that engulfed Pakistani politics after the leak of the so-called Panama Papers showed his family used offshore accounts to buy high-end London apartments.

NAB has acquired two helicopters-one at Lahore's Allama Iqbal International Airport and the other at the New Islamabad International Airport to transport the two convicts. Local media said they were then taken to Adiala jail in the nearby garrison town of Rawalpindi.

Authorities have mobilized more than 10,000 police officers for their arrival and blocked roads with shipping containers to shut down the city of Lahore.

Sharif's younger brother Shehbaz led late-night rallies across Lahore to drum up support for the ex-prime minister's arrival and said the arrest of party workers amounted to "naked pre-poll rigging".

Former Pakistani prime minister Nawaz Sharif flew home Friday to start a 10-year prison sentence on a day when a bombing at an election rally killed at least 70 people, heightening security concerns for the country's already fraught national elections.

Sharif's return from London, where his wife Kulsoom is critically ill and undergoing cancer treatment, comes at a time of dwindling fortunes for his party, which a year ago was considered a run-away favourite to retain power.

More news: Missed Xiaomi 4th Mi anniversary sale? Wait for Amazon Prime Day

Sharif returned from Britain after an anti-corruption court handed him a 10-year jail term and sentenced his daughter and political heir to seven years in prison over the purchase of luxury flats in London in the 1990s.

Maryam Nawaz has also retweeted the picture.

On Friday, some of Sharif's supporters clashed with police in Lahore.

A police official who asked not to be identified said more than 100 PML-N workers had been detained.

The father-daughter duo, who traveled to London just before Eid ul Fitr to be with ailing Begum Kulsoom Nawaz, are scheduled to arrive in Lahore on Friday at 6:15 pm.

Addressing a press conference in London with Maryam by his side, Sharif had said he has made a decision to return to the country "despite seeing the bars of prison in front of my eyes".

Further, the PML-N president said the verdict in the Avenfield reference was "unjust".