World News

Outrage after Chicago police fatally shoot man

Outrage after Chicago police fatally shoot man

Video circulating on social media show tense confrontations between police and protesters. The man pushed the officers away and was shot when he appeared to reach for his weapon as he fled, Waller said.

Chicago police have released body camera footage showing an officer fatally shooting a man they say was armed on Saturday.

The shooting on Saturday triggered violent clashes that night and more peaceful protests on Sunday in the latest in a string of USA police killings that have at times sparked nationwide demonstrations. Some people screamed "murderers" as officers lined up against them. Some officers were hurt by rocks and bottles. An officer points to Augustus' waist and he backs away.

"We find no documentation supporting him being [a] concealed carry [permit holder]", Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said.

The protest came amid long-simmering tensions over frequent instances of police shootings and brutality against African-American residents in both Chicago and across the country.

No officers were injured during the shooting, which Fox 35 Chicago reported is now being investigated by Chicago's Civilian Office of Police Accountability to determine whether the deadly use of force was justified. He was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Augustus did not fire his weapon and the footage does not show him pulling the gun out of its holster, though he does appear to try to grab something at his waist, Guglielmi said.

Outrage after Chicago police fatally shoot man
Outrage after Chicago police fatally shoot man

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi later tweeted that police had cleared the scene and four demonstrators had been arrested. There were no further details given about the charges.

"We're pissed off; we're exhausted", community activist William Calloway said on Sunday the day after the shooting and standoff with officers. The shooting victim remains unidentified, but locals say he worked at a local barbershop, had a 5-year-old girl, and went by the name "Snoop", per the Chicago Sun-Times.

Randale Truitt, 31, of the 200 block of East 70th Street, is charged with attempted first-degree murder. McDonald's death led to the ouster of the police chief and a series of reforms meant to prevent future police abuses and to hold officers accountable.

Van Dyke is awaiting trial.

During the confrontation with police, the man became combative and broke free from the officer. He was also in possession of several magazines of ammunition, said Waller.

The Chicago Tribune reports that protests will resume tonight.

More news: Djokovic seeks rest and calm before final against Anderson