World News

Dozens killed, including children on a bus, in Yemen air strikes

Dozens killed, including children on a bus, in Yemen air strikes

The Saudi-led Coalition, which has been conducting a military campaign to oust the Houthi rebels, didn't immediately respond to CNN questions.

That was the toll at just one hospital.

It was unclear how many children were killed and how many air strikes were carried out in the area, in northern Yemen, near the border with Saudi Arabia.

The UN children's agency UNICEF said it was "very concerned with the initial reports of children being killed" with UNICEF's resident representative in Yemen, Meritxell Relano saying that he is witnessing the "horror the images and videos coming from Saada..."

The head of the humanitarian organisation's delegation in the country, Johannes Bruwer, later tweeted that "scores" had been killed and "even more injured, most under the age of 10".

A military coalition led by Saudi Arabia has been carrying out airstrikes since 2015 against Houthi positions - causing thousands of civilian deaths in the process, according to war monitors - in an attempt to restore the internationally-recognized government of President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi.

The coalition has insisted it never deliberately targets civilians but human rights groups have accused it of bombing markets, schools, hospitals and residential areas. "I am extremely saddened by what happened in Saada".

"This is yet another example of the blatant violations of global humanitarian law that we have seen in Yemen over the past three years-from indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks on civilians, denial of access to humanitarian aid and the use of starvation as a weapon of war-it's the people of Yemen, not the warring parties, who are paying the ultimate price", said Sylvia Ghaly, director of advocacy in Yemen for Save the Children. Turki al-Malki said the attack was "a legitimate military action, conducted in conformity with global humanitarian law".

More news: 'I wouldn't be happy either': Paul Scholes writes off joyless Manchester United

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), an outspoken critic of the United States' support for the Saudi coalition, expressed fury over the attack and demanded once again that lawmakers end their complicity in the war.

Fragments from a missile launched into Saudi Arabia from Yemen by Houthi forces killed one civilian and wounded 11, Saudi state media said on Thursday.

Investigations by the United Nations and the USA have found evidence that the missiles fired by the Houthis were supplied by Tehran.

A USA military spokeswoman said: "U.S".

Global rights groups repeated calls for an end to the war and strongly condemned the bus attack and other civilian massacres.

The attack on Jazan was the second ballistic missile fired at Saudi Arabia by the Iran-backed rebels this week.

The coalition denied responsibility for those attacks.

Impoverished Yemen, on the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula, is now in the world's worst humanitarian crisis, with more than 22.2 million people in need of assistance.