Sports

Richard Keys infuriates Newcastle fans with strong tweet directed at Rafa Benitez

Richard Keys infuriates Newcastle fans with strong tweet directed at Rafa Benitez

Newcastle begin their league campaign by hosting Tottenham Hotspur at St James' Park on Aug 11.

And after Newcastle's 4-0 friendly defeat to Braga in midweek, Benitez delivered a blunt transfer update which left many supporters anxious over his long-term future at the club.

"I said two months ago what we needed, and 10 days before the start of season we have four or five players we thought we could bring but we haven't - and we still are where we are", concluded a frustrated Benitez. The fans have to be concerned, we are concerned. "We can talk [he and Charnley] and be close [to making signings] but after we are not so close", he said.

While the vast majority are sympathetic with Benitez, one man who is not is Richard Keys.

Many Toon supporter groups are looking at using the game as a platform to show their anger towards the club hierarchy - something that will no doubt unsettle the players on the pitch.

More news: Man City vs Chelsea: Why DSTV will not show Community Shield game

So far this summer Newcastle have sold Mikel Merino to Real Sociedad for £10mn, Aleksandar Mitrovic to Fulham for £22mn, Chancel Mbemba to Porto for £8mn and Matz Sels to Strasbourg for £3.5mn.

The club confirmed on Wednesday that the process has been completed, meaning he becomes their fifth signing of the transfer window, following Martin Dubravka, Ki Sung-yueng and Fabian Schar and the loan deal for Kenedy.

Newcastle United have bolstered their attack with the addition of Japan global Yoshinori Muto.

And Rondon's £16.5million release clause in his contract at The Hawthorns has reportedly expired. "I don't think we'll lose any players at the moment", Benitez said. "He was right last season - you had more than enough". "But I can't say too much".