Culture&Arts

Backstreet Boys' Nick Carter won't be charged after rape allegations

Backstreet Boys' Nick Carter won't be charged after rape allegations

In November of a year ago, Carter responded by saying he was "shocked and saddened" to hear the accusation, according to the Los Angeles Times.

As it was previously reported, Nick Carter sparked the ire of the public following the allegations from Melissa Schuman after he allegedly raped her all the way back in 2003.

In February, Melissa filed an official police report against Nick and the Santa Monica Police Department presented their evidence to the District Attorney last month.

The Associated Press generally doesn't name people who say they were sexually assaulted but Schuman has come forward publicly to speak about her experience and approves of the use of her name.

Nick Carter has denied the allegations since they first surfaced a year ago.

She admitted she was "well aware of the likelihood that my case was not prosecutable", but that it had still provided her with "great solace" to know that her case had been documented by law enforcement.

"I hope it inspires others to do the same if it feels right for them".

More news: A Pokemon Let’s GO Nintendo Switch Is Coming And It’s Adorable

She said she was "finally doing what I thought I could no longer do" by filing a police report. "This will be hard, but for the love of my fans here in Lima I'll be on the stage tonight", he added.

Schuman alleged that she and her roommate had been invited to Carter's house in 2003 and that she and Carter went into another room together and started kissing before he brought her into a bathroom and performed oral sex on her despite her protests.

"I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman's accusations", he said in a statement to PEOPLE in November 2017. In the middle of the wave of accusations against men in the entertainment industry, Melissa took to her blog to accuse the Backstreet Boy of rape.

"Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual".

"This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, almost two decades later", he continued.

On Monday, Schuman tweeted a quote reading, "I tell my story".