World News

GoFundMe Campaign For Bourke St 'Trolley Man' Michael Rogers Passes $100K

GoFundMe Campaign For Bourke St 'Trolley Man' Michael Rogers Passes $100K

His comments come after a deadly attack in Melbourne on Friday when Hassan Khalif Shire Ali fatally stabbed one man and injured three others after crashing a auto full of gas cylinders in Bourke Street.

At the shrine, across the river from the scene of the Bourke Street attack, a substantial but unobtrusive police presence guarded a crowd of about 4,000.

Since then, a whopping $98,807 has been raised on the crowdfunding website.

He told Channel Seven: "I have seen the trolley to the side, so I've picked it up and I ran and threw the trolley straight at him".

Donna Stolzenberg, the founder of registered charity Melbourne Homeless Collective, is behind the fundraising effort for Mr Rogers.

"There is a real black spot for us and that is a vulnerability", he said. "He is wonderful", the GoFundMe page reads.

Mr Rogers, who had been sitting on a bollard rolling a cigarette when the attack began, told Melbourne newspaper The Age his actions had been "spur of the moment".

"And I did that motion about - quite a number of times, but it just wasn't getting him down", he said.

Mr Rogers' phone was shattered during his efforts to fight off the attacker, but the humble man said that it was a small price to pay to help the innocent victims.

More news: Another UK minister quits over 'travesty of Brexit'

She added that the charity will help find him support with financial literacy, housing and making sure nobody took advantage of him once he had the large sum of money.

"These people can escalate very quickly and there can be very minor matters that are a catalyst to trigger them", he said.

"Trolley man is everything great about Australia. He's helping in a crisis, and he's doing it in a ridiculous but effective way", wrote another.

Hassan Khalif Shire Ali stabbed to death well-known local cafe co-owner Sisto Malaspina and injured two other men in Bourke Street in the heart of Melbourne on Friday afternoon before he was shot and killed by police.

With ASIO now having "400-plus" active investigations and persons of interest, Mr Dutton said police needed the help of Aussies to prevent attacks - particularly when attackers were acting alone.

"If someone is mentally ill they can be a prey for any propaganda, any misinterpretation. but what can we do? This isn't a guy who had any connections with terrorism but was simply crying for help", they said in a note handed to reporters.

Mr Dutton said while police saw "no evidence" that Shire Ali was preparing to attack, more information had since been gleaned about the man's state of mind through the execution of a search warrant on Saturday.

Police said Shire Ali had his Australian passport cancelled in 2015 after an intelligence report that he planned to travel to Syria but an assessment was made that while he had radical views, he posed no threat to national security.