Culture&Arts

Steve Smith reveals details of sandpaper-gate

Steve Smith reveals details of sandpaper-gate

Smith was far more composed at the SCG on Friday, revealing his struggles to get out of bed at various low points of a year-long ban that will expire in about three months.

Smith is serving a 12-month ban from playing state or worldwide cricket for his role in the ball-tampering scandal against South Africa in March.

"I don't want to know about it", Smith said.

"I think it has been documented pretty heavily what went on", Smith said.

"I am going okay, I have had tough days, I have had my ups and downs", admitted Smith. "And I think that's what the Australian public wants to see, and I think that's what gets the best out of the team as well".

"I was really proud of the way the boys played last week at Perth, I thought they were magnificent", he said.

Smith is not eligible to return to state and international cricket until March
MARK EVANS GETTY IMAGESSmith is not eligible to return to state and international cricket until March

"I've made a mistake and it was a big mistake, but for now I'm trying to move on from that and improve as a person".

He also shed light on the details of the ball tampering attempt in itself.

In his first media press conference since a teary confession at Sydney Airport in April, Smith acknowledged that he had the opportunity to stop the ball tampering but instead chose to not get involved. But Smith's name was not there, "BCB chief Nizamuddin Chowdhury said."Yes he [Smith] is not available for us. It was the potential for something to happen and it went on and happened out in the field". It was a failure of leadership, of my leadership. "That was my failure of leadership for that and I have taken responsibility for that".

"Instead, I said 'I don't want to know about it and walked away.' So, that was my chance where I could have stopped something from happening".

Smith's 12-month ban, for his involvement in the plan to deliberately bring in a foreign object (sandpaper) to artificially alter the condition of the ball in the third Test against South Africa in Cape Town this year, concludes at the end of March 2019.

"Everything I dreamed of, everything I was a part of was just falling to pieces", Smith, 29, says in the advert. The disgraced cricketer added that he is looking forward to playing the World Cup and the Ashes in front of what he expects to be "hostile crowds" in the Old Blighty. "I'll just keep working hard and if I get the opportunity that will be great".

Читайте также: Trump slams GOP leaders over border wall money

Vodafone Australia's "Gutsy is calling" commercial starts with a voice overlay of Smith's tearful apology when he fronted the media upon his return home from South Africa, before cutting to scenes of him playing for local club Sutherland and conducting a coaching clinic.

While he has been on the sidelines, Australia have endured mixed results.

"It was an awesome Test match and I am sure the boys have taken a lot of confidence from it".

Smith admitted it's been tough watching his former teammates struggle knowing he can not help them with a match-winning performance.

Smith, who hasn't entertained thoughts of being reinstated as captain, admitted that it was hard following the national team in their current state of turmoil, knowing that he couldn't do anything to help out of their supposed run of bad form.

"I think that's the way Australian cricket has always played its best when they're playing hard, but playing within the parameters of the game".

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

"I am just moving forward day to day and doing what I need to do to prepare, hopefully, to get another opportunity to play for Australia and if that is World Cup and Ashes, so be it".

Код для вставки в блог