World News

Man Charged With Sending Dangerous Parcels To Embassies In Australia

Man Charged With Sending Dangerous Parcels To Embassies In Australia

7 News reporter Cassie Zervos told Nick McCallum the Australian Federal Police arrested Avan last night.

The man, named as Savas Avan, was charged with sending unsafe articles through a postal service, the Australian Federal Police (AFP) said in a statement on Thursday.

While forensics police searched his Shepparton home, Mr Avan faced Melbourne Magistrates Court on Thursday morning wearing red shorts and a blue Minions T-shirt from the Despicable Me movie series with the slogan "more than meets the eye".

Australian Federal Police and Victoria Police said in a joint statement they will allege the substance in the packages was sourced from the man's Shepparton home.

A Victorian man has been arrested and charged after suspicious packages were sent to consulates across Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra.

The American, British, Indian, Italian, New Zealand, Korean, Egyptian, Pakistani, Greek, Danish, Spanish, Japanese, Thai and German consulates were among those impacted in Melbourne yesterday afternoon.

Avan, who was originally said by police to be 48 years old, will next appear in court in March.

More news: R. Kelly's attorney responds to allegations made in docu-series

The incident comes just days after emergency services were called to the Argentinian consulate in Sydney's CBD after reports that a suspicious substance was found in a parcel.

"Police have identified all intended recipients and have put processes in place to recover the outstanding packages", the AFP said in a statement.

Police said they had so far recovered 29 of the 38 packages and were undertaking forensic testing to determine what they were carrying.

The maximum penalty is 10 years' jail.

Taiwan's representative office in Melbourne, Australia, received a suspicious package on January 9, alongside 37 other packages sent to consulates and embassies across Australia. Victoria police said they believed the incidents were targeted and did not impact the general community.

At least two consulates in Melbourne did not contact authorities about packages until they received an email from the Australian government.

"Similar advice was subsequently provided to consulates around Australia".