Premier League striker, Sala aboard missing plane

Premier League striker, Sala aboard missing plane

The Nantes striker was announced as a new signing for Premier League club Cardiff City on Saturday.

Sala had been due to meet his new teammates at Cardiff City after the club purchased his rights on January 19 from FC Nantes for a club-record fee, believed to be around $20 million.

According to BBC, a Piper Malibu plane with two people on board went missing off the island of Alderney.

A spokesman said: "HM Coastguard helicopters from Solent and Newquay have been helping to search overnight with nothing found".

The chairman of Cardiff City soccer club issued a statement saying he was "very concerned" about Sala. We are awaiting confirmation before we can say anything further.

He said: "We were very shocked upon hearing the news that the plane had gone missing".

After a search was called off on Monday because of high winds, two helicopters, two planes and a lifeboat joined renewed efforts on Tuesday morning to find the single-propeller plane.

Despite that, Sala has never played for his country and remains little known back in his homeland - an article on the website of popular sports daily Ole on Tuesday carried the headline: "Who is Emiliano Sala?".

More news: Graham says he'll ask Trump to meet Pakistan, Afghan leaders

The aircraft returned to the search area at 8am on Tuesday.

The search operation was impeded by worsening weather conditions throughout the night and terminated at 2am, before recommencing this morning.

A team of lifeboats and helicopters from Guernsey and the United Kingdom, and a helicopter from Cherbourg in France, were searching on Tuesday for the plane that went missing about 15 miles (24 kilometers) off the island of Alderney.

Britain's Coastguard received an alert at 8:23 p.m. on Monday from air traffic control in Jersey, the largest of the Channel Islands, after it failed to make contact with the Piper PA-46 plane with two people on board, Guernsey police said.

The French civil aviation authority confirmed Sala had been travelling from Nantes to Cardiff.

"Air Search 1 and a French rescue helicopter based in Cherbourg, resumed the search of the area at 08:00".

Searches were suspended in the early hours of Tuesday due to adverse weather conditions, as well as a unsafe seas and poor visibility. For me it feels special [to be Cardiff's record signing].