World News

US Military Official Says Troop Withdrawal From Syria Has Begun

US Military Official Says Troop Withdrawal From Syria Has Begun

Top diplomats in Russian Federation say that they don't believe the Trump administration will pull its troops out of Syria as President Donald Trump said they would, a top official said Wednesday, arguing that advocates of maintaining US troops in Syria have a lot of power in Washington.

While Mr Trump's tweets announcing his decision declared that ISIS had been defeated and suggested the withdrawal would begin immediately, the president later clarified that it would be done gradually after facing resistance from his security officials and the Pentagon.

The withdrawal appeared to have begun Thursday night, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which monitors the conflict in Syria through activists on the ground. The coalition "has begun the process of our deliberate withdrawal from Syria", he said. It said a convoy of about 10 armored vehicles, in addition to some trucks, pulled out from Syria's northeastern town of Rmeilan into Iraq.

Top diplomats in Russian Federation say that they don't believe the Trump administration will pull its troops out of Syria as President Donald Trump said they would.

President Donald Trump's announcement last month that he had chose to withdraw 2,000 us troops stunned allies that have joined Washington in the battle against Islamic State in Syria. Russia, the Syrian government's most vital ally, would be happy to see the US pull out entirely of the war-torn country, where it has military bases and a significant troop presence. Trump made his decision to pull US troops out of Syria after holding a phone call with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who promised that Turkey would play a lead role in bringing stability to the region.

More news: R. Kelly's streams increase after docu-series alleges abuse

Giving a subsequent speech about broader US policy in the Middle East at the American University in Cairo, Pompeo said "now is the time" to bring America's forces out of Syria.

CNN reported earlier that the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) has identified ships, aircraft and ground units that will be used in the operation.

Mr Trump's national security adviser John Bolton was also sent to the region this week to reassure Israel, which is equally concerned about the Iranian presence in Syria, and to deter Turkey from launching its threatened offensive against the US-backed Syrian Kurdish militia that led the fight against ISIS in north-east Syria. Turkey views the Kurdish YPG militia, which forms the core of the SDF force, as a national security threat. Syria's deputy foreign minister said on Wednesday he was optimistic about renewed dialogue with the Kurds.

Turkey was a rare ally that lauded Trump's momentous decision on Syria, a country where it will now have a freer rein to target US-allied Kurdish fighters who have played a major role in the war against IS but are deemed terrorists by Ankara.