World News

'America is not covering up Khashoggi murder,' Pompeo claims

'America is not covering up Khashoggi murder,' Pompeo claims

Late last week, Saudi Arabia's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Adel al-Jubeir, told reporters in Washington that people should await the results of the trial of the suspects as well as the end of an ongoing investigation before drawing any conclusions about the case. "It was a mistake".

During the visit, the Crown Prince will hold talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on wide range of issues of mutual interest.

A senior official at the ministry on Monday said that they had held consecutive meetings during the past few days for the goal and all relevant stakeholders had been taken on bard in this connection.

The Trump administration pushed back Monday against allegations that it was trying to cover up the killing of Saudi columnist Jamal Khashoggi when it failed to send Congress a report determining who was responsible for his death. He added that the delegation will include members of Saudi Royal family, high government officials and renowned businessmen of the Kingdom.

He continued: "We have said we will investigate".

More news: Gordon Banks, England's 1966 World Cup-winning goalkeeper, dies aged 81

A year before Mr Khashoggi was murdered on Oct 2 in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Prince Mohammed told Mr Aldakhil that he'd use that bullet if Mr Khashoggi didn't return to the kingdom and stop criticising the government from his perch in the United States, the New York Times reported on Thursday.

After denying the killing for two weeks, Riyadh finally described it as a "rogue" operation and arrested a number of senior Saudi officials. More than 60 people, many of whom are believed to be human rights activists, were arrested in May 2017 alone by the Saudi government during a wave of detentions, according to a January 2018 report released by two leading worldwide human rights lawyers.

On Friday, The New York Times said the Central Intelligence Agency had intercepted communications of the crown prince telling a top aide in 2017 that he would go after Khashoggi "with a bullet" if the journalist did not return to Saudi Arabia.

The report naming Turki Aldakhil, former general manager of Saudi-owned Al Arabiya television, was published by The New York Times on Thursday.

"I'm not going to comment on reports based on anonymous sources", Jubeir told CBS. "I don't know the background".