World News

DA Quinn to Request Full Prison Term for Michelle Carter

DA Quinn to Request Full Prison Term for Michelle Carter

A MA court on Wednesday upheld the involuntary manslaughter conviction handed down Michelle Carter over the 2014 suicide death of her 18-year-old boyfriend Conrad Roy III.

"The evidence against the defendant proved that, by her wanton or reckless conduct, she caused the victim's death by suicide", the court stated in its ruling Wednesday.

"We are therefore not punishing words alone, as the defendant claims, but reckless or wanton words causing death", Kafker wrote.

Carter badgered Roy with texts to "get back in" his running Ford F-250 as it filled with carbon monoxide in a Kmart parking lot in Fairhaven in July 2014.

A lower court judge said Carter caused Roy's death when she told him to get back in a truck filled with toxic gas.

They also argued she can't be convicted because of her words alone, noting she wasn't with him when he killed himself and didn't provide him with the means to do it.

Michelle Carter's 15-month sentence handed down in 2017 for involuntary manslaughter had been placed on hold as the Supreme Judicial Court reviewed her appeal.

More news: Body recovered from plane wreckage identified as footballer Emiliano Sala

Prosecutors had argued Carter could have stopped Roy from killing himself, but instead bullied him into going through with his plan through text messages that became more insistent as he delayed.

The 22-year-old has been allowed to remain free while the court reviewed her case.

"I thought you wanted to do this".

In her texts, she wrote: "You're finally going to be happy in heaven". "Her conviction of involuntary manslaughter as a youthful offender is not legally or constitutionally infirm". Carter had also been treated for anorexia, while Roy had made earlier suicide attempts. They discussed methods, including carbon monoxide poisoning. In their appeal, Carter's attorneys said the conviction went too far in criminalizing a defendant who was not present at the scene.

Prosecutors at trial presented evidence showing that Roy, of Mattapoisett, briefly left the vehicle after he began to be overwhelmed by the fumes but returned after Carter urged him to "get back in".

A spokesman for the Bristol County District Attorney's office said it will file a motion in the coming days asking the trial court to impose Carter's jail sentence now that the state high court has ruled. Carter was 17-years-old at the time of his death.

But on Wednesday, the Massachusetts Supreme Court shot her appeal down. He said her arguments that her texts to Roy amounted to speech protected by the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment "lack merit". He said Roy was committed to ending his life and was responsible for his own death.