World News

UK's Prince Philip 'voluntarily surrenders' driving licence after crash

UK's Prince Philip 'voluntarily surrenders' driving licence after crash

Following a recent automobile accident in which two others were injured, the husband of England's Queen Elizabeth II has acknowledged the inevitable and handed over his driver's license and the ignition keys to an undetermined number of eminently-driveable vehicles, according to a report from the New York Times.

More than a week after the crash, the duke wrote a letter to the passengers in the other auto to apologise.

The UK's Prince Philip, 97, has chose to "voluntarily surrender" his driving licence following a crash last month, Buckingham Palace announced on Saturday.

As AP reported, however, Philip was photographed driving again two days later, without a seatbelt.

Fairweather said she is pleased with his decision to give up driving, telling The Mirror; "He's making the most sensible decision he can".

Witnesses to the crash were in disbelief that anyone, and especially someone of Philip's age, could have walked away from it so easily.

"Undoubtedly the roads will be safer now".

Though she admits the timing leaves something to be desired. "It's a shame he didn't make it a bit sooner but it's the right thing to do".

More news: Russian Federation to prevent deployment of USA missiles to Baltic States

She recently revealed she will need surgery to heal her wrist, which was injured in the crash.

Buckingham Palace said Philip - formally known as the Duke of Edinburgh - took the decision on his own after rolling over his Land Rover last month.

He surrendered his licence on Saturday, a spokeswoman added. "Declining faculties in seniors affects responses, reflexes and judgement which contributes to accidents and making the public at large at risk".

The crash sparked a debate as to whether Prince Philip should still be driving at his age, with some calling for tougher driving tests before they can get behind the wheel.

United Kingdom police sent their investigation of the crash to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which is considering whether to bring charges against Prince Philip over the crash last month.

According to one eyewitness, the Kia, driven by a 28-year-old mother, "T-boned" the duke's vehicle and ended up in a hedge with smoke coming from the engine.

The January 17 crash saw the royal consort's UK-built Land Rover SUV flip over and collide with another auto, injuring its occupants.

Norfolk police have confirmed with us the Duke voluntarily turned in his license to officers Saturday, and tell us the investigation of the collision has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service.