Culture&Arts

Nine missing after Christchurch mosque attacks

Nine missing after Christchurch mosque attacks

The AP also reported that Tarrant, who has donated to a number of white nationalist groups but has no other direct affiliation with them, allegedly was given personal approval by Breivik to commit the mosque attacks in Christchurch, though this has yet to be verified.

At a roadblock outside the Al Noor mosque on Sunday, about 40 people were standing in silence near scores of bunches of flowers.

Mr Bush said police would not release a list of the victims until they had been formally identified. One victim died in hospital.

He has so far been charged with one count of murder, although judge Paul Kellar said it's "reasonable to assume" that more charges will follow, after yesterday's deadly shooting.

At least 49 people were killed in mass shootings at two mosques during midday prayers on Friday and dozens more were wounded, some critically.

Questions have been raised about why Tarrant had not appeared on a watchlist of New Zealand or Australian security agencies.

A leader is never more needed or valued as in a time of crisis, and for the people of Christchurch and New Zealand their Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has been a pillar of strength.

"I can tell you one thing right now, our gun laws will change", Ardern told reporters on Saturday, saying a ban on semi-automatic weapons would be considered.

In a statement, Fiji's prime minister Frank Bainimarama also expressed his shock at the shooting and sympathy for the victims.

They said they were saddened by the "senseless" attacks.

More news: United Kingdom cuts growth forecast for 2019 - Hammond

Meates said at a news conference at the Christchurch hospital that it's "hard to fathom the enormity of this act of terrorism".

"As of last night, we were able to take all of the victims from both of those scenes and in doing so we have located a victim", he said.

"Fijian hearts are breaking for our brothers and sisters in New Zealand - a place where an atrocity of this nature is shocking nearly beyond comprehension".

Two more people, whose identity remains unknown as yet, were also arrested.

The nationalities of the victims included Indian, Pakistani, Malaysian, Indonesian, Egyptian, Bangladeshi, Saudi, Somalian and Turkish, authorities said.

Ardern said the main suspect was a licensed gun owner who used five weapons during his rampage, including two semi-automatic weapons and two shotguns. "The people of New Zealand are in our thoughts and prayers".

A 24-year-old man from Oldham, Greater Manchester, was arrested on Saturday after posting comments online supporting the slaughter, Greater Manchester Police said.

She said, "The mere fact... that this individual had acquired a gun licence and acquired weapons of that range, then obviously I think people will be seeking change, and I'm committing to that". Police say that this person was a member of the public armed with a gun with the intention of assisting officers.

Pence also affirmed USA cooperation in ensuring all the perpetrators were brought to justice.