Culture&Arts

'Shark Tank' Star's Brother Died in Dominican Republic

'Shark Tank' Star's Brother Died in Dominican Republic

Businesswoman and "Shark Tank" investor Barbara Corcoran recently revealed that her brother mysteriously died at a resort in the Dominican Republic, TMZ reports.

John Corcoran, 60, who owned Statewide Roofing and Siding in Edgewater, was found dead in his Dominican Republic hotel room in April, his sister told TMZ. At the time, John was waiting for his girlfriend to arrive, the outlet said. He was said to be Barbara Corcoran's favorite of her nine siblings, a larger-than-life personality who was always the life of the party.

Barbara Corcoran's brother John is the victim and he was there on an annual vacation with a friend in April.

There have been a number of mysterious deaths of USA citizens in the Dominican Republic in recent months, and people are questioning whether John's death is linked.

The news of his death comes as teams of experts and inspectors from several global agencies, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, conduct tests at the Bahia Principe properties where some of USA tourists died.

More news: Apple looks to acquire Intel's German phone modem business, report says

The FBI is doing toxicology analysis, NPR says. At the time, the Dominican Republic National Police said their deaths were likely do to respiratory failure and pulmonary edema. "Dominican authorities cited almost identical conditions, including pulmonary edema - where the lungs fill with fluid - for several of them".

One of the most puzzling cases remains the deaths of an engaged couple, Edward Holmes and Cynthia Day of Maryland, who were found dead in their room on May 30 by a resort employee.

According to the publication, since June 2018, six USA tourists have been found dead in the country, two at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana and four at the Bahia Principe resorts. Other tourists have also died under what their families call mysterious circumstance; one Colorado couple has even filed a lawsuit claiming that their hotel in the Dominican Republic poisoned them by improperly spraying insecticide too near to an air conditioner.

In recent days, the family of a Pennsylvania woman who was vacationing in the Dominican Republic previous year said she died in her room at the Bahia Principe Resort in Punta Cana after she had a drink from the minibar.

Another tourist, 41-year-old Miranda Schaup-Werner, died just last month after drinking from the mini bar at her hotel, according to the New York Post. He and his friend were staying at a "private home" that had no mini bar or "malfunctioning" air conditioning units, she told People.