Man arrested after scaling Buckingham Palace gates

Man arrested after scaling Buckingham Palace gates

In May 2016, a man with a conviction for murder climbed over the wall and walked for about 10 minutes around the grounds of the palace before being arrested.

Police have said it is not being treated as terrorist-related.

The palace also explained that the intruder may have known that the Queen was in her bedroom at the time of the intrusion because the Royal Standard flag was flying, which notifies the public of when the Queen is home.

The royal family had a shock last night when a man intruded Buckingham Palace while Queen Elizabeth was sleeping.

The man had successfully scaled the gates before being caught at around 2am on Wednesday morning, police confirmed, and has been arrested on suspicion of trespass.

"Officers quickly established that he wasn't carrying any weapons and the incident isn't terror related".

After being arrested, the man was found not to be armed and remains at a central London police station.

The incident was strangely similar to a break-in nearly 37 years to the day, when Michael Fagan managed to reach the Queen's bedroom in 1982.

A royal source alleged that the intruder was trying to replicate Michael Fagan, who cunningly broke into the monarch's bedroom 37 years ago.

More news: Players won’t lose purchases if publishers leave new Google gaming platform

The source says the intruder was detained under the mental health act.

"The intruder was immediately arrested and didn't manage to get near the main building". What about heat censors and CCTV?

A royal insider has told The Sun the intruder was in the palace unrestricted for several minutes. "It's very unusual given the infamous Fagan business almost 37 years ago", the source says.

"We are all relieved that the doors were locked this time and he wasn't able to get inside where the Queen was".

The Queen pushed the panic button next to her bed but worryingly got no response.

Two days later the Metropolitan Police apologised to the Duke of York after officers challenged him in the gardens of Buckingham Palace at around 6pm.

Fagan smashed a large glass ashtray and threatened to slash his wrists as he sat on the end of the Queen's bed.

The Queen was rescued when she was spotted by butler Paul Whybrew who was returning from walking the corgis.