World News

Three dogs die from toxic algae after swimming in North Carolina pond

Three dogs die from toxic algae after swimming in North Carolina pond

Several dog owners in Texas, Georgia, and North Carolina say toxic algae killed their dogs.

"[The dogs] contracted blue green algae poisoning and there was nothing they could do".

Results from waters samples collected on August 7th from two beaches at the lake, Buck Creek and Island View, tested positive for the toxin microcystin, which is produced by the algae.

The Department of Health advises the public avoid contact with the Upper and Middle Pamunkey Branches as well as the Upper and Middle North Anna Branches of Lake Anna.

The agency recommends keeping children and pets away from waters that appear discolored or scummy and not touching large accumulations of algae.

Find the information from the Virginia Department of Health, check here.

More news: Italy's Salvini says will submit no-confidence vote

Algae occurs naturally in water, but the blue-green variety are considered Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs).

"Toxins produced by cyanobacteria can affect the kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, liver, and nervous system of people, pets, livestock and other animals".

One study identified 368 cases of toxic algae poisoning associated with dogs throughout the USA over a nine-decade period, but the researchers believe this represents only "a small fraction of cases that occur throughout the United States each year". 'We must warn other pups and families about this blue-green algae.it's deadly.it's fatal'.

Letting your dog take a dip in a lake or pond on a hot day is one of the joys of summer. Drinking from a body of water where blue-green algae lurks or licking it off fur can kill a dog within 15 minutes of exposure, according to Blue Cross for Pets, a United Kingdom animal charity. How did they get this way and what does it mean?

If your dog somehow makes contact with the algae, rinse them off immediately (while wearing gloves).

"It can cause anything from vomiting, diarrhea, to stiffness, to seizures, and then of course death", Gruchow said. "Ultimately, the entire food web is impacted because these toxins are produced", said Schmale. While mostly symptoms are mild, they can include tingling or numbness in the face, arms, and legs, headache, dizziness, loss of coordination and in rare cases, paralysis and respiratory failure.