Research

Los Angeles Chargers give Melvin Gordon permission to seek a trade

Los Angeles Chargers give Melvin Gordon permission to seek a trade

Melvin Gordon has a decision to make.

In what is becoming a trend with running backs in the NFL, Gordon has sat out of activities, wanting a new contract from the Los Angeles Chargers.

General manager Tom Telesco said he informed the running back's representatives that, with Week 1 beginning, any such talks would now be put off until after the season. He noted on Saturday that things have gotten to the point where Gordon's "star down" with the Chargers is going to leak into the regular season.

Amid the running back's contract standoff with the club, Los Angeles has given Gordon and his reps permission to seek a trade, sources told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

More news: At least 13 killed, 58 injured in Maharashtra chemical factory explosion

This is quite the 180 degree turn from how this saga originally developed.

The Chargers have offered Gordon a new contract that doubles his salary at roughly $10 million annually - but so far that hasn't been enough to get Gordon into camp. However, Gordon declined and now we are where we are. McCoy would fit in beautifully with the team's offensive approach and could be had at a bargain rate compared to what Gordon is seeking.

Gordon is holding out with one year remaining on his rookie contract and will earn a little more than $5.6 million in 2019.

"I'm disappointed (Gordon's holdout) has lasted this long".